Today I’d like to share a recipe that was made in my brand new kitchen machine, it’s a savory and warming stew that has spent all day collecting flavor right up until the moment you get home from work. And right at that moment, it’s ready for you to dig in! Yum! So let’s get cooking on this vegan eggplant and chickpea slow-cooker stew.
This meal is great for your gut since it’s packed with fiber. Fiber is the main source of nutrition for your microbiome, and a healthy microbiome is linked to a healthy immune system and healthy aging.
The fiber in this recipe comes from the abundance of vegetables, the chickpeas, and the whole grain pitta bread. The combination of these products assures you’ll both get soluble and insoluble fiber. This helps to create bulk in your intestines and to hold on to moisture, to create a healthy stool. Yay!
If you don’t really like whole grain pitta bread, you can also choose to use whole-grain rice (to make it gluten-free!) or whole-grain couscous.
There’s a load of spices in this recipe coming from the Baharat (which can usually be bought at a local spice store) and the cinnamon. The cinnamon will leave your whole house smelling lovely!
What I love about this recipe is the ease in which it’s made. It’s a slow cooker recipe. That basically means you dump everything in your slow cooker, set the timer, go on with your day and have a delicious meal ready-to-go at dinner time!
So, as I said, I used my new kitchen machine for this. My boyfriend got all excited to buy a slow-cooker and promised me to start cooking more often. To be honest, I wasn’t too excited about another massive machine in our tiny kitchen. But I started liking it! To this day I’m the one that has been using it and it is pretty convenient to use. Especially when you come home from work after a long day, you’ve just put the slow-cooker on in the morning before work, set the timer for 9 hours and forgot all about it. Ideal!
The slow cooker I have in use now is a multifunctional one. It’s the Crock Pot Multi Cooker and it can slow cook, do pressure cooking (like instant pot), sauté your vegetables and has many other buttons I still have to discover. Like yogurt, poultry, dessert, rice, chili and so on. Intriguing options!
Especially if you’re not a big fan of cooking, the slow cooker can definitely make your life easier. So stay tuned for more Crock Pot recipes!
Have you tried the recipe? How did you like it? Let me know in a comment!
Eggplant and Chickpea Slow-Cooker Stew
Recipe by Positive Gut - positivegut.com
- 300 g drained chickpeas from a can
- 3 eggplants
- 2 cans tomato cubes 400 grams each
- 1 leek
- 2 tbsp baharat or Lebanese seven spice mix
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4-6 whole grain pitta breads
- Start by heating up your slow cooker. Cut the eggplant into 2 cm thick slices. You can cut the slices in half if the eggplants are really wide. Cut the top and bottom from the leek, and slice it lengthwise. Cut the halves into slices.
- Add the eggplants, leek, chickpeas, tomato cubes, baharat, ground cinnamon and 1 can of water to the slow cooker and give it a stir.
- Set your slow cooker to low heat, 8-9 hours. After 8-9 hours check your meal to see if the eggplants have gone tender and the chickpeas are super soft.
- Heat up the whole grain pitta breads and serve with the meal. Enjoy!