Low FODMAP Oyster Mushroom Soup
*Voor het Nederlandse recept, selecteer ‘Nederlands’ in de rechter bovenhoek/ drop-down menu
It’s soupy time again! Low FODMAP soups are sometimes hard to come by, since a lot of soups have onion, garlic or high FODMAP vegetables. Well, this one doesn’t. Excitement! Check out this low FODMAP oyster mushroom soup.
Usually, I love mushroom soup, but ever since I found out I’m intolerant for the Oligosaccharides – Fructans, a mushroom soup was basically off the table.
But did you know, oyster mushrooms have a low FODMAP portion size up to at least 75 grams, but with the note from the Monash University FODMAP app that it only contains moderate amounts of polyols from 1 kg. Well, we can make a nice soup with less than 1 kg of oyster mushrooms. No problem.
Apart from oyster mushrooms there’s also leek in the soup. Be mindful of the portion size of the leek you’re using. The white bottom parts of the leek are high FODMAP, but the green tops aren’t as much! A portion of 54 grams per person is a safe portion size. So as long as you keep to that, the soup will stay low FODMAP.
Are you having difficulties doing the FODMAP diet all by yourself and would you like guidance from a specialized dietitian? Schedule an online consultation at my online dietitian practice Darm diëtist, and I will help you with all your questions!
The stock is made using a stock cube from a Dutch brand. When buying stock cubes it’s important to always check the ingredients list for garlic, onion and any additives like sweeteners. It’s not easy finding a low FODMAP stock brand, but once you’ve found them, you’re good to go! If you’d rather make the stock yourself, you can use the herbs and spices from my ‘7 Best FODMAP and Gluten-Free Spice Mixes’
To make the low FODMAP Oyster Mushroom soup a little more filling, you can add 2 slices of sourdough bread or gluten-free bread to the side. In general, a wholegrain sourdough bread is more nutritious than gluten-free bread. If you want to read more about FODMAPs and sourdough bread, check out the article I wrote about sourdough bread.
Apart from that, there’s not much to this recipe. It’s easy, convenient and good for a calm belly. If you’re looking for more low FODMAP soups to make, check out my page with low FODMAP soup recipes!
Get cooking and let me know what you think! I’m curious about the brands of stock cubes you have found, let me know about them in the comments below or on Instagram!
low FODMAP oyster mushroom soup
Recipe by Positive Gut - positivegut.com
- 200 grams oyster mushrooms
- 1 leek only use the green tops, they are low FODMAP up to 54 grams p.p.
- 150 grams spinach
- 1 liter Vegetable stock choose a low FODMAP stock cube
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Boil 1 liter of water and prepare the stock by adding the stock cube. Cut the oyster mushrooms into pieces and finely chop the green tops of the leek.
- Put a big pot on the fire and heat up the olive oil. Add the leek and let this cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the oyster mushrooms and stir fry them until they have wilted.
- Add the stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Chop the spinach into small strips and add to the soup. Let the spinach wilt.
- Add some salt or pepper to taste, and serve. Yum! Combine with some sourdough bread (low FODMAP up to 2 slices) or gluten-free bread and have yourself a delicious low FODMAP meal!
Hi there, I’m Manon.
In my daily life I work as a registered dietitian in the Netherlands with a special interest in gut health.
During my workday I get loads of questions about healthy food, recipes and lifestyle to make it a little easier to get healthy. On Positive Gut I collect my best recommendations, tips and recipes to make your healthy lifestyle a little easier!