*Voor het Nederlandse recept, selecteer ‘Nederlands’ in de rechter bovenhoek/ drop-down menu
Having a (Christmas) movie night this weekend? I got just the thing for you! This low FODMAP popcorn in 6 varieties will give everyone something to enjoy! It’s about as easy as it gets to make it, and it’s delicious!
Even when you’re not following the FODMAP diet, this popcorn snack is a healthy and tasty alternative to crisps or salty nuts!
When checking the Monash University low FODMAP app, you’ll soon find out that popcorn is low FODMAP up until at least 120 grams. Well.. I don’t know if you ever tried weighing popcorn? But that’s a massive amount to finish! So, eat till you’re nauseous if you need to (but please try not to..), the popcorn will give you no FODMAPs!
The recipe is also gluten-free, but with only corn, oil and spices basically anything will be!
Homemade low FODMAP Popcorn
A lot of the sweet popcorn that’s store-bought is sweetened with glucose-fructose syrup and sometimes has some dodgy additives. For some peace of mind and the most exciting flavors you can come up with, I would really recommend making it yourself!
That being said, the store-bought plain salty popcorn usually is fine on the FODMAP front, but make sure to always check the ingredients!
If checking the labels is a bit daunting to you, I can help. Schedule a free symptom assessment and we’ll discuss how I can help you!
Another convenience of making the popcorn yourself is the price. A bag of popcorn kernels is super cheap, and the kernels will grow 7 times their size when they pop! So don’t underestimate the amount you will get.
The process is super easy. Put a big pot on the fire, add some rice oil and make sure the whole bottom of the pot is thinly covered with oil. When the oil is hot, add a handful of popcorn kernels, put the lid on the pot and shake the pot to cover all the popcorn kernels in oil. Then put it back on medium fire, and wait for the poppy sounds!
When you put the popcorn kernels in the pot, make sure to quickly put the lid on the pot. I tried a single kernel first to check, and it popped super fast! I got startled and dropped my hand full of popcorn kernels all over the floor… Good fun!
Have you made popcorn yourself? Let me know what your favorite popcorn topping is in a comment!
Low FODMAP Popcorn 6-ways!
Recipe by Positive Gut - positivegut.com
- 1 bag popcorn kernels
- rice oil
Toppings, choose your favorite!
- ground cinnamon
- curry powder
- seasalt and Italian herbs
- maple syrup
- cocoa powder
- paprika powder
- Put a big pot on the fire and add rice oil. Add just enough rice oil to cover the bottom of the pot in a thin layer of oil
- You can check if the oil is hot enough by putting a few popcorn kernels in the pot. If they start spinning around, the oil is hot enough to put the rest of the kernels in.
- Grab a handful of popcorn kernels and add them to the pot. Cover the pot with the lid, and give the pot a little shake to cover all the kernels with oil.
- Keep the pot on the fire at medium heat, make sure to keep a little gap between the pot and the lid for steam to escape out of. You'll soon hear the first pops! After the popping has calmed down, keep the pot on the fire for a little longer. You'll hear the last kernels pop.
- Turn the fire off and give the pot one last shake. Carefully lift the lid off the pot, don't burn yourself on any hot steam! Add the desired topping in your desired amount, and give it a shake to cover all the popcorn with the topping.
- Put the popcorn in a big bowl and enjoy your movie snack!