*Voor het Nederlandse recept, selecteer ‘Nederlands’ in de rechter bovenhoek/ drop-down menu
Oh, how I love casseroles! Assemble everything in the oven tray, put it in the oven, and go do something else while your food cooks. Amazing. This low FODMAP casserole has tons of vegetables and is super tasty. The sweet potatoes combined with the feta cheese provide a feast for your tastebuds.
Be mindful of using sweet potato while you’re on the FODMAP diet. The sweet potatoes have an upper limit of 75 grams per portion because of the mannitol it contains. As long as you keep your consumption below 75 grams, the sweet potato is unlikely to give you any difficulties.
Some of the other ingredients in the recipe also have an upper limit. But since all the different ingredients contain different FODMAPs, it is unlikely for the different FODMAP groups to reach your tolerance limit.
This FODMAP casserole is packed with vegetables which all have a lot of fiber. It is usually hard to get enough fiber while on the FODMAP diet, since a lot of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and whole grains are high in FODMAP’s.
To prevent a shortage of fiber, make sure to include some fiber in every meal you eat. Fiber is the main source of nutrition for your friendly gut bacteria. Keeping them happy, helps you stay healthy.
So, get cooking now! No wait, do something else you enjoy while the food is in the oven! (like yoga!) And enjoy your meal.
Are you following the low FODMAP diet but do you still have symptoms? Do you have questions about your personal situation and can’t find the answer on the internet? I can help you!
Sweet Potato, chicken and veggies Casserole (low FODMAP)
Recipe by Positive Gut - positivegut.com
- 200 g chicken breast
- 150 g peeled sweet potato Buy a little extra, because the peeling will loose you some weight
- 1 red bell pepper
- 130 g courgette low fodmap up to 65g per person
- 150 g deep frozen spinach Defrost beforehand
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp Italian herbs
- 80 g feta cheese low fodmap up to 40g per person
- 80 g sour cream low fodmap up to 40g per person
- 1-2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp herb butter spice mix
Herb Butter Spice Mix. From my article: '7 Best FODMAP and Glutenfree Spice Mixes'
- 5 tbsp dried parsley
- 4 tbsp dried chives
- 2 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 0,5 tbsp ground celery
- 0,5 tbsp ginger powder
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees celsius.
- Cut all the vegetables and sweet potato into long thin strips. Put all the cut vegetables, spinach, and sweet potato into the casserole, and mix with olive oil, garlic-infused olive oil, and Italian herbs. Once this is properly mixed, put the casserole in the oven.
- Cut the chicken into small thin strips and set aside (keep cooled/refrigerated for food safety). Add the chicken to the casserole after about 25 minutes and put the casserole back into the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce, mix 80 grams of sour cream with 1-2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar, 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon of herb butter spice mix.
- After the 20 minutes have passed, crumble the feta over the casserole and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes have passed, cut a piece of chicken in half to check if it's cooked through. If not, keep the casserole in the oven for another 5-15 minutes.
- Once the casserole is done, put the desired amount onto your plate and add a scoop of the sauce next to it. Enjoy your meal!