Vegan Chickpea Curry
*Voor het Nederlandse recept, selecteer ‘Nederlands’ in de rechter bovenhoek/ drop-down menu
It’s recipe time again! And this time I will tell you how to make this delicious vegan chickpea curry! Highly nutritious, fiber-rich and that makes it a feast for your microbiome.
(This post includes Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I am recommending products I like, and am not being sponsored by the companies that make them. The price of the products does not change for you because of this.)
No Spiciness Curry
Every since I started living with my boyfriend, I started experimenting with curries and Indian recipes. My boyfriend was born in India and traveled around the world during his youth. Curries and Indian dishes remind him of his early childhood, and for me, that’s a motivation to master cooking it!
Unfortunately for him, I dislike spicy food with all my heart! So none of my curries will ever be spicy. As a result, he just pours Tabasco or other hot sauces over it. Whatever makes him happy, I guess.
The spiciness is not necessarily bad for your gut, but when you have sensitive intestines from IBS or because of IBD for example, the spiciness can worsen your symptoms. So better to leave it out, if you’re not a big fan of it anyway!
The Curry Spice Mix
Whenever I’m cooking, I like to use as little salt as possible. Salt is related to high blood pressure, but a high intake of salt is also related to stomach cancer. All the more reason to leave it out of your meals whenever you can. Salt is added to many products anyway, so a deficiency is hard to get.
The curry spice mix I use is homemade and without salt. Just mix all the spices together in an old jam jar and you’re done. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
Truth to be told, most curry spice mixes in the Netherlands where I live don’t have added salt to them. So if you can find yourself a store-bought mix with only the spices and no added salt, like this one on Amazon, that’s fine to use too. But I like the possibility to tweak my spice mixes to my taste preference!
So, have you been eating your curry spicy or non-spicy? Let me know how you liked the vegan chickpea curry!
Vegan Chickpea Curry
Recipe by Positive Gut - positivegut.com
- 300 grams brown rice
- 400 grams chickpeas canned and drained
- 400 ml coconut milk light
- 2 bell peppers
- 250 grams bean sprouts
- 1 leek
- 200 grams green beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 0,5 tsp ground cumin
- 0,5 tsp ginger powder
Curry Spice Mix
- 3 parts ground cumin seeds
- 10 parts ground turmeric
- 2 parts ground fenugreek
- 1 part ground mustardseed
- 1 part ground black pepper
- 2 parts ginger powder
- 2 parts ground allspice
- 1 part ground carawayseeds
Curry Spice Mix
- Combine all the different curry spices in a jar. Make as much as you want. 1 part can either be a teaspoon, a tablespoon or a cup if you go crazy. Just keep to the ratios and you'll be fine. Close the jar and perform a shake-dance with it! You'll get exercise and the spices will get mixed! Win-win!
- Start boiling the rice following the instructions on the package. Cut the leek, bell peppers, and green beans into bite-sized pieces.
- Put a cast iron with a lid on the fire, and start heating 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot enough, add the leek and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Then add the bell peppers and green beans. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the bean sprouts, coconut milk, chickpeas, and 2-3 tablespoons of curry spices, 0,5 tsp of ground cumin and 0,5 tsp of ginger powder. Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil. Cover with the lid and let it simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
- When the rice and the curry are done, serve them together and enjoy!
Hi there, I’m Manon.
In my daily life I work as a registered dietitian in the Netherlands with a special interest in gut health.
During my workday I get loads of questions about healthy food, recipes and lifestyle to make it a little easier to get healthy. On Positive Gut I collect my best recommendations, tips and recipes to make your healthy lifestyle a little easier!